In the Real Frank Zappa Book (which by the way is the best book on the planet to have in your bathroom), Frank says that when Chastity Bono complained to her dad Sonny about her name, he reminded her: “Be thankful that we didn’t name you Dweezil!”.
Dweezil Zappa is the son of Frank and Gail Zappa, but his sister Moon Unit was the one who was voted the most bizarrely named celebrity offspring off all time in a poll for Sky TV in 2004.
Of course the competition for strangest baby name is quite fierce. Moon Unit had to compete with names like Fifi Trixibelle, the daughter of Bob Geldof and the late Paula Yates.
Some studies undertaken by psychologists suggest that people who have striking, or weird names, considered odd by those around them (oh, REALLY?), can experience great difficulties in their normal social relationships.
As my wife and I are having another baby girl soon, we’ve been giving a lot of thought to baby names. I thought it fitting to look through some baby names from musicians and have dug up some
great pretty crazy ones. Somehow I doubt we’ll be using any of these names, but here’s the list I came up with:
- Fifi Trixibelle (Bob Geldof and Paula Yates)
- Peaches (Bob Geldofand Paula Yates)
- Peaches Honeyblossom (Bob Geldof and Paula Yates)
- Tiger Lily Heavenly Hirani (Michael Hutchence and Paula Yates)
- Zowie (Angie and David Bowie)
- Seven Sirius (Erykah Badu and Andre Benjamin)
- Puma (Erykah Badu and Tracy Curry)
- Duncan Zowie Heywood Jones (David Bowie and Angela Bowie)
- Denim & Diezel (Toni Braxton and Keri Lewis)
- Chastity (Cher and Sonny Bono)
- Elijah Blue (Cher and Greg Allman)
- Little Pixie (Bob Geldof and Paula Yates)
- Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily (Michael Hutchence and Paula Yates)
- Saffron Sahara (Simon LeBon and Yasmin Parvaneh)
- Tallulah Pine (Simon LeBon and Yasmin Parvaneh)
- Justice (John Cougar Mellencamp and Vicky Granucci)
- Teddy Jo (John Cougar Mellencamp and Vicky Granucci)
- Spec Wildhorse (John Cougar Mellencamp and Elaine Irwin)
- Apple (Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow)
- Harlow Winter Kate(Joel Madden and Nicole Richie)
- Rufus Tiger (Roger Taylor and Deborah Leng)
- Tiger Lily(Roger Taylor and Deborah Leng)
- Lola Daisy (Roger Taylor and Deborah Leng)
- Keelee Breeze (Robert Van Winkle (Vanilla Ice) and Laura Giarritta)
- Dweezil (Frank Zappa and Gail Zappa)
- Ahmet Emuukha Rodan (Frank Zappa and Gail Zappa)
- Moon Unit (Frank Zappa and Gail Zappa)
- Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen (Frank Zappa and Gail Zappa)
In the spirit of full disclosure, Dweezil Zappa’s name on his birth certificate is actually Ian Donald Calvin Euclid. They wanted to name him Dweezil, but the hospital refused to allow it. They used Dweezil anyway, and later in life Dweezil insisted on continnuing to use his original name as his parents intended.
Of course, Chris Martin, the singer for Coldplay doesn’t seem to think these names are much of a big deal. Here’s another awesome list (UPDATE: URL no longer valid) (though not musicians names) of really crazy names.
Tell you what, if you have any great ideas for Girl’s names, post them below!
*UPDATE* MY wife just read this post, had a good laugh, but then said…”hey, I really like Tallulah!”. Uh oh….
my daughters name is Dakota my youngest daughter is Paisley i also have a son called Saybin and another son Astin.
I have unique names for my boys. But as for musical names : Lyric and Poet are quite cute!!! But I’ve always loved Tallulah!!!
And you missed sooo many other rockstars!!!
Alice Coopers daughter is Calico and a bunch of musicians have girls named Nevaeh (heaven backwards).
I love classical music so I thought if I had a daughter I’d name her Symphony or maybe Rhapsody but maybe I’ll reconsider now. Bullies in school can be so brutal.
Dweezil … hehe f’n hilarious.
Did anyone else notice deceased INXS singer Michael Hutchence on the list? Tiger Lily.
Zowie Bowie … another classsic
haha these are some crazy names!!
my parents are total hippies and named me Saybin moon and i thought that was weird but it is a good conversation starter.
forgot beck’s kids, cosimo and tuesday
I think the Zappas win for “odd” names. Paula Yates gets the gold for weird names and various daddies! The music industry is a scene unto itself…
Geez you guys left out Grace Slick and Paul Kantner’s daughter China? Well in comparison, that is pretty tame.
Director Robert Rodriguez has some crazy names for his kids, too.
Sons Rocket Valentin, Racer Maximilliano, Rebel Antonio, Rogue and daughter Rhiannon Elizabeth.
Heard on the news yesterday a girl in New Zealand managed to get a judge to allow her to change her name. Her parents had called her ‘Talluhla Does The Hula In Hawaii’. Judge said she MAY face some bullying… you think!
I like the name Banjo. That’s what John Butler of the John Butler Trio named his daughter. Their music is better than any of the no talent ass-clowns whose kids are on the list.
I know Tiger Lily may be a little strange, but if I ever have a daughter she will mostly likely be named Lily. I just love that name 🙂 feel free to use it!
From Wikipedia: “Tallulah Brockman Bankhead (January 31, 1902 â€“ December 12, 1968) was an American actress, talk-show host and bon vivant.” She was originally born in my hometown Huntsville, AL, and named after her grandmother… So Tallulah is somewhat an old name and not too goofy…I guess….
Moon Unit lol
I know several people named Chastity and Tallulah. They aren’t really odd names in my view.
You forgot “Pilot Inspektor”, Jason Lee’s son.
don’t go for tallulah until you visit the town bearing that name in louisiana.
she’ll change your mind for sure once you do…
unless you like poverty, crackheads and inbreds?
I really like Tallulah too!
I’m surprised the hospital let Bob Geldof name his kids those things- they sound like cat names
Good List, but you can’t forget Jason Lee’s son, Pilot Inspektor! Sure he’s not a musician, but a name like that deserves some recognition.
As for girls names, I’ve always been partial to Chloe. It’s not overly common, and it rolls off the tongue nicely
The article your are citing in this paragraph is saying the exact opposite. The didn’t saw anything negative with having a weird name in the development of an individual.
Some studies undertaken by psychologists suggest that people who have striking, or Weird names, considered odd by those around them (oh, REALLY?), can experience great difficulties in their normal social relationships.
While not a rock star, I think Penn Jillette’s daughter’s name beats them all: “Moxie CrimeFighter”
Hey, funny list. But didn’t Michael Jackson name is kid Blanket or something like that.