In the Real Frank Zappa Book (which by the way is the best book on the planet to have in your bathroom), Frank says that when Chastity Bono complained to her dad Sonny about her name, he reminded her: “Be thankful that we didn’t name you Dweezil!”.
Dweezil Zappa is the son of Frank and Gail Zappa, but his sister Moon Unit was the one who was voted the most bizarrely named celebrity offspring off all time in a poll for Sky TV in 2004.
Of course the competition for strangest baby name is quite fierce. Moon Unit had to compete with names like Fifi Trixibelle, the daughter of Bob Geldof and the late Paula Yates.
Some studies undertaken by psychologists suggest that people who have striking, or weird names, considered odd by those around them (oh, REALLY?), can experience great difficulties in their normal social relationships.
As my wife and I are having another baby girl soon, we’ve been giving a lot of thought to baby names. I thought it fitting to look through some baby names from musicians and have dug up some
great pretty crazy ones. Somehow I doubt we’ll be using any of these names, but here’s the list I came up with:
- Fifi Trixibelle (Bob Geldof and Paula Yates)
- Peaches (Bob Geldofand Paula Yates)
- Peaches Honeyblossom (Bob Geldof and Paula Yates)
- Tiger Lily Heavenly Hirani (Michael Hutchence and Paula Yates)
- Zowie (Angie and David Bowie)
- Seven Sirius (Erykah Badu and Andre Benjamin)
- Puma (Erykah Badu and Tracy Curry)
- Duncan Zowie Heywood Jones (David Bowie and Angela Bowie)
- Denim & Diezel (Toni Braxton and Keri Lewis)
- Chastity (Cher and Sonny Bono)
- Elijah Blue (Cher and Greg Allman)
- Little Pixie (Bob Geldof and Paula Yates)
- Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily (Michael Hutchence and Paula Yates)
- Saffron Sahara (Simon LeBon and Yasmin Parvaneh)
- Tallulah Pine (Simon LeBon and Yasmin Parvaneh)
- Justice (John Cougar Mellencamp and Vicky Granucci)
- Teddy Jo (John Cougar Mellencamp and Vicky Granucci)
- Spec Wildhorse (John Cougar Mellencamp and Elaine Irwin)
- Apple (Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow)
- Harlow Winter Kate(Joel Madden and Nicole Richie)
- Rufus Tiger (Roger Taylor and Deborah Leng)
- Tiger Lily(Roger Taylor and Deborah Leng)
- Lola Daisy (Roger Taylor and Deborah Leng)
- Keelee Breeze (Robert Van Winkle (Vanilla Ice) and Laura Giarritta)
- Dweezil (Frank Zappa and Gail Zappa)
- Ahmet Emuukha Rodan (Frank Zappa and Gail Zappa)
- Moon Unit (Frank Zappa and Gail Zappa)
- Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen (Frank Zappa and Gail Zappa)
In the spirit of full disclosure, Dweezil Zappa’s name on his birth certificate is actually Ian Donald Calvin Euclid. They wanted to name him Dweezil, but the hospital refused to allow it. They used Dweezil anyway, and later in life Dweezil insisted on continnuing to use his original name as his parents intended.
Of course, Chris Martin, the singer for Coldplay doesn’t seem to think these names are much of a big deal. Here’s another awesome list (UPDATE: URL no longer valid) (though not musicians names) of really crazy names.
Tell you what, if you have any great ideas for Girl’s names, post them below!
*UPDATE* MY wife just read this post, had a good laugh, but then said…”hey, I really like Tallulah!”. Uh oh….